Skip to main content

A (Homeschool) Year in Review

Well, Th and I just completed our first year of school (at home). Third grade was challenging for both of us. I was nervous because it is a pivotal year in a child's education. The subjects contain concepts that are more difficult to grasp. For instance, multiplication/division are taught in math, higher-level vocabulary is used in reading, and various grammar concepts are applied in language arts. Th also learned to write in cursive this year, which was a rewarding experience to observe in and of itself.

Besides his academic maturity, he has also grown in other ways.

Spiritual:
Th moved up from the Pee Wee Sailor's Club to join the Patch Club. Each month, he has to memorize passages of scripture (8-10 verses in length) to earn a pin for his hat. He made the transition in December and has earned 5 pins for the remainder of this year. He has also formed new friendships and strengthened old ones as a result of this Club change.

Faithfulness:
Th has shown such responsibility this year simply by doing what he needed to do. For the most part, he finished his schoolwork everyday. The days he didn't, it was usually because of a factor outside of his control (like I didn't have time to get to that particular subject, or he wasn't grasping the concept as quickly as I had planned and I didn't want him to move on to the next until he demonstrated mastery).

Th was really good about getting his work done in a timely manner, whether it was schoolwork or chores. As a result, TJ & I allowed him to take a job. He has been volunteering on a weekly basis at our local pregnancy center as the "garbage guy". He gathers up and bags the garbage from all over the building, usually resulting in about 4 big bags full, and then takes it to the big garbage can outside. He then hauls that to the curb for collection the next day. Th LOVES this job and looks forward to doing it each week. The center staff & volunteers enjoy his company and I am so thankful the Lord presented this opportunity to him. Th has definitely learned the meaning of SERVICE TO OTHERS as a result of gathering up the garbage week in and week out over the past several months. My hope and prayer is that this opportunity will put a desire in him to continue to serve the Lord in other areas throughout his life.

Responsibility:
Th has shown growth in this area, as well. In an attempt to earn money for art camp this summer, he came up with a list of jobs he can do and gave them to our  neighbors and some friends from church. Th enjoys his "jobs", which typically include caring for our neighbors' mail, pets, newspapers, etc. when they go out of town. He has also done some cleaning and yard work for other people, along with washing cars, etc. Th was able to earn the money he needed, plus more.

Along with learning the concept of saving for something he really wants (currently it's a new, bigger bike), he has also learned the importance of doing a job until completion and doing HIS best. If it's not his best, he knows he might not get paid or hired again. =)

I have greatly enjoyed watching his progression over the course of the year, and I can understand why so many choose to homeschool. Witnessing your child's learning (academic or otherwise) is awesome and something that I will cherish forever! This is time with him I will never get back, and I couldn't imagine him reaching these milestones under anyone else's supervision. Perhaps that's a little cheesy, but it's so true!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants