Skip to main content

Homeschooling- Week 1



Okay, I gotta tell you, I really like homeschooling. We just completed our first "full" week of school, and at times it was challenging, but we did it! It is obviously a learning process for both Th and myself as we figure out the best way to do school while my girls, particularly Teagan, are home with us, but we're getting there. Thankfully he enjoys school and overall Th has an easy-going personality so he doesn't mind when I switch things up a bit. But, Friday's routine seemed to work the best with having the girls home with us so that is what I will do on the days they don't attend preschool. Plus, on the mornings they do attend preschool, I think Th and I will be able to move through the material quicker since we won't have the distractions of an almost 4- and 2-year-old. Hopefully we can get ahead on those days and, if needed, relax a bit on the others.


Our first field trip is scheduled for October 1st. We are going to a local historical farm and homestead where a Revolutionary War veteran once lived. While there, Th will participate in a simulated 1840s school day. He has to dress and bring a lunch similar to the time period. Before he goes, we have some work to do to prepare him for his lessons while at the schoolhouse. He can't wait to get started! He is so excited, especially because in history right now we are studying the foundation of America and he loves it! This field trip is the "icing on the cake" for him! He is going with 10 other homeschoolers so for all of you "what-about-the-socialization" part of homeschooling- no worries! =)

Honestly though, the best part of homeschooling is the time we are spending together. He is learning, I know that, but we also talk and interact and just spend time together that we otherwise would not get. Anyone with more than 1 child knows how difficult it is to spend time alone with each child, and homeschooling is affording me that precious time. They are only little for a short time so I am thankful that, before I set him loose in the "real world," I have time to prepare him to be a godly man and husband to his future wife. Seems far off but I know that day will be here all too soon.

As you think of it, please pray for us. Pray that we would continue to enjoy each other's company and that this academic year is successful. Homeschooling has been my heart's desire for some time, so thank the Lord for allowing the difficult circumstances last year to prepare me for this year.

*Psalm 37:4- "Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart."

Comments

Looks like you're doing a fabulous job Terra!
Terra, you are amazing! We were talking about homeschooling last night. Our public schools aren't the greatest so we've always just assumed we would put our child in a private Christian academy but something made us think of homeschooling. Not sure if I'm cut out for it though. Looking forward to taking the journey with you!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants